Welcome to the new Upper Heyford village website. Please email any comments and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
Upper Heyford is a small village about 6 miles northwest of Bicester in Oxfordshire
Upper Heyford is located on the east bank of the River Cherwell. ‘Upper’ distinguishes it from Lower Heyford which is about 1 mile ‘lower’ downstream along the Cherwell valley.
The village has access to the Oxford canal from Allens Lane (at Allens Lock) which runs parallel to the River Cherwell. The canal flows from Banbury and Somerton to the north towards Lower Heyford and Oxford to the south. The village is surrounded by working farmland, some arable and some livestock.
St. Mary’s church dates from AD 1074. It may have been rebuilt in the latter part of the 15th century, but only the perpendicular gothic tower survives from that time. Major repairs to the roof and south aisle were made in 1668 and 1769, but by the 1860s the nave and chancel were in a poor condition again. In 1865 the church was rebuilt, all except the tower, again in a perpendicular style.
The village comprises just over 100 homes: a mixture of original 1700s and 1800s Cotswold stone cottages, converted barns, stone-brick houses, 1950s and ’60s brick bungalows and rendered houses. The most recent houses have Cotswold stone exteriors, more in keeping with the village’s character.
The village green is overlooked by the old school, now a private house. The village has allotments, sports ground (home of Heyford United football team), village hall, children’s playground, and The Barley Mow public house.