Upper Heyford Reading Room
The Green,Upper Heyford, Bicester, Oxfordshire OX25 5LG
Our Village Reading Room is available for private and community hire
Having recently been restored the Reading Room offers a tasteful & intimate venue space suitable for almost any small event. The building is located on our quiet village green, overlooking the valley & benefits from having a small play area next to it, designed for toddlers & young children.
The Reading Room has capacity for 60 standing, 50 seated theatre style or 36 seated at tables, plus up to five servers. It should however be noted that parking facilities are limited and due to its residential location hirers are asked to keep noise at a reasonable level, particularly after 8pm. The venue is not available for 21st birthday parties or similar functions and hire is at the discretion of the Amenities Committee.
To make an enquiry or booking please contact the booking clerk, Barry Parsons, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: 07557 941534 .
You can check the availability of the Reading Room by following this link: Upper Heyford Village Reading Room Calendar .
Reading Room Hire Agreement, Hire Charges, Inventory & Parking facilities diagram are available for download (and see below): Reading Room Hire Information
History of Upper Heyford’s Victorian Reading Room
The Reading Room was built in the 1890s for the benefit of the parishioners. It was used as a Reading/Games Room until the 1920s and from then until the school closed in 1992, as the infant classroom.
It now belongs to the parish and was renovated by the community in 2011.
Parish Resident Hire Charges:
- Parish Groups: £6 per hour
- Parish Fund Raising Events: £6 per hour
- St Mary’s Church Events: £6 per hour
- Private Parties: £8 per hour
- Non Resident Groups: £8 per hour
- Non Resident Fund Raising: £8 per hour
- Private Parties: £10 per hour
- Commercial/Business hire: £10 per hour
(Hiring fees include electricity charges and heating costs and use of all the facilities & inventory items listed below. The fees are standardised year round. Hirers will be charged for one hour set up and cleaning time. Charges will apply in ½ hour increments. A Cleaning deposit of £25 is required at Committee discretion. A higher deposit amount may be required for some functions.)
Reading Room Facilities:
- Capacity for 60 standing, 50 seated theatre style & 36 seated at tables + up to five servers
- Car park at front of building (capacity 9 with limited overflow a short distance away by the church)
- Disabled access from car park
- Small Entrance lobby
- Single spacious toilet with disabled & baby changing facilities
- Main Room
- Small Kitchen with oven & sink
- Patio with two benched tables & a separate bench
- NB: There is no fridge or hob in the kitchen.
Reading Room Inventory:
- 8 rectangular tables, each seating a maximum of six
- 40 chairs
- 2 kettles
- 2 large teapots
- 2 plastic cutting boards
- 6 round serving trays, brown
- 40 ten inch plates
- 40 soup bowls
- 30 tall glasses
- 34 tea/coffee mugs
- 5 small glass milk jugs
- 30 wine glasses
- 37 knives &47 forks
- 36 table / soup spoons
- 35 teaspoons
- 3 soup ladles
- Mop and Bucket
- Toilet cleaner, chrome brush and holder
- Dustpan and brush
- Toilet paper
- Dishwashing liquid
- Disinfectant liquid
- Handwashing liquid
- Jaywipe clothes, Note: no tea towels are provided
- Small bins, kitchen and toilet
- Bin liners